Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Moments....

 I have come to the conclusion, most recently in my 37 years, that life is made up of moments and nothing more. We choose which of those moments to cling to. We ourselves determine which of those moments will mold us and direct us. Some may choose to grasp moments of negativity, forever letting those moments hold them hostage and sway their decisions. I was one of those people for many years.

Then, I became sick. I spent a year and half in bed with a nurse caring for my most intimate needs. In despair, all I could see was that I was no longer a mother to my children, a friend to others, a daughter to be proud of, a person of worth. My young children were growing up on their own. I was not able to guide them, direct them, supervise them. My heart was crushing within me. I was told I would not make it past 10 years. I was suffocating. Although my illness should have given me a better understanding of the immune system issues my son had fought through his life, I couldn't get past the moments I clung to of negativity.

The moment the doctor told me I would never be better.

The moment my friends abandoned me stating that they could not stand to see me in so much pain.

The moment my son and daughter stood by my bed crying because they wanted to cuddle but their touches brought me such immense pain I would scream out, despite my deepest resolve not to.

Then, I had a nurse. A beautiful woman by the name of Shirley. I doubt she even understands the impact she had on me. Mrs. Shirley refused to accept the doctors doom and gloom predictions. “Imperfect men”, she would tell me. “Only God knows everything”, she would say. For each negative thing I had to say about the state of my body, she had three more positive things to say. Through persistence and unconditional love, this woman pushed me to stand up for myself. She pushed me to tell the doctors “No More” when I felt the medications were creating worse damage. Once I refused the doctor's 21 prescriptions, she pushed me to work on moving my body. Again, I clung to moments.  

The moment that she held my elbows up so that I could wash my own hair.

The moment I sat upright an entire evening propped on pillows in my bed.

The moment my children learned if they ran a light finger along my arm, I could tolerate their touch.

Yet, I didn't realize yet that life is made up of moments. I sought a physical therapist that would help me walk again. When the therapist came to the house, I clung to that moment.

The moment I was told, “You are living in denial. You are never going to get better. You are never going to walk. Until you accept this, you will never be happy again.”


Yet again, Mrs. Shirley came to my rescue. I again grasped hold of moments.

The moment I sat at the dining room table, watching my very young children help Mrs. Shirley prepare a meal.

The moment I was able to put a bit of my food into my own mouth.

The moment I took my first step.

Yet still, I didn't realize that life is made up of moments. As I moved towards life, I still held onto so many negative moments. Highlights of my life, moments that should have been treasures, became my anchors. The moments of my past became what I clung to.

The moment I hiked that gorgeous waterfall.

The moment I drove a stick shift down a curvy road at sunrise.

The moment I swam across the lake and back.

The moment I saw my first paycheck as an order selector.

The moment I ran and played with my children on the playground.

The moment I spent my night dancing.

My life was held in moments.....of the past. I was left with my present suffocating still. My choices in life were based off the moments of my past. The moments I could no longer relive. Those moments held me hostage and resulted in bad decision after bad decision.

One of those decisions resulted in my becoming pregnant with my third child. In an attempt to provide my children with something I felt I no longer was able to give them, I dove into a relationship. A business deal that ended sourly. However, with the pregnancy my rheumatic diseases that had left me so terribly crippled went into remission. I still fought other chronic illnesses and pain, yet I was grasping such beautiful moments.

The moment I went camping for three months on the AT as a pregnant single mother of two.

The moment I hiked a beautiful waterfall.

The moment I drove a car down beautiful, curvy, mountain roads.

The moment I swam in the swirling waters at the base of the falls.

The moment I hiked a mountain to view the sunrise.

The moment I watched the sunset over the mountains from the fire tower.

I clung to these moments as my child grew within me. I battled some seriously difficult months where pain mounted from my other chronic health issues, yet eventually they would ebb to the edges of my being, allowing me to do much of what I enjoyed. I realized during this time that on the bad days, I must find my “happy thought”, my moment. On the bad days my moments became seemingly small. Moments that I could grab from where I laid in bed.

The moment a caterpillar crawled along my windowsill

The moment a humming bird nipped at the feeder

The moment the sun shone through the leaves

The moment my children's laughter would fill the morning.

However, I still did not realize that my life was made up of moments. Even in the midst of having to find a moment to cling to before I could start my day, I had no realization of that fact.

There were other moments I grasped and clung to that defined who I was and forever altered the decisions I would make.

The moment the doctor said, “Your son's (Pookie) diagnosis is High Functioning Autism”

The moment the doctor said, “Your son (Keegan) has Asperger Syndrome.”

The moment he said, “I'm leaving you, I'm never coming back, I never loved you. Your health problems and your kids special needs are too much for any husband to handle”


However, a year and a half ago, I came out of remission from my rheumatic diseases. I felt the change within me and, though I sought to deny it to myself, I knew what was happening. I pushed myself so very hard the last several weeks to provide my children with moments.

The moment my children and I visited Lake Lure

The moment I hiked the glorious mountain trails with water bottles and children in tow

The moment I lounged on the deck watching the kids play in the pool

The moment I walked the beach with my children looking for sea shells

The moment I swam in the ocean as the waves threatened to knock me over

I didn't realize that life was made up of moments. Yet, there were more to come.

The moment I heard, “I'm sorry to say, you were right. Your ANAs are elevated again. We need to discuss treatment”

The moment my closest friend said, “Refusal of treatment is the same as refusing to be a mother to your children”

The moment my mother said, “It doesn't matter if the medicines make you sick, you need to live as long as you can for your children.”

The moment my friends walked away because they couldn't stand to see me in pain

The moment my children's faces locked in fear as I told them the news of my coming out of remission

The moment the doctor said, “6 to 12 years is the average life expectancy for someone that doesn't respond to treatment. Without treatment, it may not be that”

The moment tears streamed down my face as I told my children, ages 6, 12, 15 that I was refusing treatment and what that meant.

I still didn't grasp that life is made up of moments. I could only, once again, cling to the moments of a past that no longer seem to relate to me.

The moment I paid the bills each month in full

The moment I would get a job and nothing stopped me from doing it

The moment my son's neurologist told me he had advanced so far due to my pushing for early intervention in his treatment.

The moment I had taken a mortgage out on a home

The moment I had taken my kids to a restaurant

The moment I took my children to a drive in movie

The moment our family went ice skating

The moment we had hiked and saw the baby deer with spots

I was once again living in the moments of the past, allowing it to hold me hostage to the present and the future. I started a “Bucket List'. Each day I added new things. I had no idea that there were so many experiences I wanted to have. Now that my days were numbered, I felt compelled to do so many things. I would have an experience and jot it down in my bucket list journal after the fact.

As the months passed by, I begin to notice that each thing I listed in my bucket list were moments. I slowly began to see that everything in life was made up of moments. That moments is what we had, what we grasped, what moved us. I realized that I wanted my life to be made up of moments each and every day. I set out to create moments. These moments weren't the same as those I had when I was healthier, yet they were moments to be treasured just the same. As I actively begin to create moments, I was able to reflect on moments from the past with joy. My moments today are different.

The moment I feel the water cascade over my body as I sit on the shower floor

The moment I lie my neck on the heating pad at night

The moment my child puts his arms around me, squeezing just the right amount not to cause pain

The moment I can open a bottle by myself

The moment I'm able to shave my legs

The moment I'm able to blow dry my hair

The moment I'm able to play trains with my son

The moment I'm able to sing along in the car with my children

The moment I'm able to stand in the rain as my children dance and play around me

The moment I'm able to look out my window and see the moon filter through the leaves

My moments are different, yet they are mine. They are beautiful in their own right.

Last night I had a moment that I wanted to share with you, a moment in some way that I already have shared with you. Last night I watched “The Intouchables”. Watching this movie was filled with moments for me.

The moment in the beginning of the film when I wondered, “How can you be so humorous about your condition?”

The moment when he handed him the phone, forgetting that he was bound by invisible chains in a prison that was not of his own making and realizing how delightful it is when someone sees you and not your disability.

The moment I realized that one of my boyfriend's greatest appeals is that he sees me and not my disability, even as he cares for my needs.

The moment when he spoke of pity and I understood so well.

The moment when he saw Paris at night and realized that life is about moments.

The moment when he had to stand up to his daughter, presumably feeling as inadequate as I do when I wonder if I'll be able to enforce anything I say to them.

The moment his phantom pains struck and he stood by his side to comfort him, just as my boyfriend has done for me when the pain is so unbearable that I wish someone would knock me unconscious.

The moment she walked up to his table

The moment he para-sailed, refusing to let his disabilities keep him from that which he loved and which broke his body to begin with.

The moment tears streamed down my face because I remembered that I am not alone, that others are here with me, sharing these moments.

Each day still adds more moments, some are saddening and have a tendency to want to weigh you down.

The moment he tells you that he just woke up and decided he didn't care about you anymore and wanted to break up.

The moment when you realize you are taking substantially less than something is valued at, simply because you must pay the bills that are due for disconnect.

The moment when you consider moving to a warmer climate because you can not tolerate the pain of the cold any longer.

Yet, in the midst of these moments, you must choose which ones to cling to. I choose to cling to other moments.

My children and I share a solid and inseparable bond.

I have friends that truly love and respect me.

Our most basic needs are always met somehow (food, clothing, shelter)

An angel gave my children a Christmas they otherwise would not have had.

Our family helps others.

I love myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...