Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

SC's Pain Scale





    0. Pain is constant but at a level I can push through and accomplish tasks. Completely able to “fake” not being in pain in an effort to prevent people from treating me differently than they would a typical person.

    1. Pain is constant and I'm still able to accomplish tasks, but I must take frequent breaks throughout the day. Still able to “fake” but usually make excuses when taking breaks such as, “I'm just tired” or “I just need to catch my breath”.

    2. Pain is constant. I'm accomplishing tasks but am having to take breaks after each individual tasks, such as loading the dishwasher. My ability to “fake” is limited, and I tend to only visit with those that I know very well.

    3. Pain is constant and is now inhibiting me from accomplishing most tasks. I have only a few spoons (refer to The Spoon Theory) and have to determine what my main priorities are. I try to make spending time with my children the priorities, but often necessities such as grocery shopping or work over ride. I can only “fake” for very short periods of time (5-10 minutes) but those that know me very well are able to determine my level of pain and start asking me what I need and how they can help (yes, this annoys me and I'm still learning how to accept help)

    4. Unable to “fake” not being in pain. Laid up in bed. Muscles in esophagus, lungs, and throughout body are in painful spasms resulting in difficulty breathing, swallowing, walking. I'm giving my wheelchair and my walker the evil eye, realizing the love/hate relationship I have with them. I'm not leaving the house and if I do, I'm a curled up bumbling mess.

    5. This stage is, simply put, “Why is it humane to put an animal out of it's misery when in pain, but not a human? The word humane has human in it for crying out loud!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...